Is Your Child Struggling to Sleep? Here’s Why!
Why is sleep so important to your baby?
The first five years of a child’s life are vital to their development, as during this time their brains develop hugely. Because of this, it is so important that we ensure our babies get the sleep they need in order to allow their bodies to develop and recover, shaping their cognitive abilities such as their memory and social skills later in life. In fact, studies have found links between poor school grades and sleep deprivation, showing the impact sleep can have on our children as they progress through life. But as parents we need our sleep too, right? So, let's learn how to ensure they sleep well so that we can have a better chance of a good night’s kip, too!
What are the signs of sleeping problems?
· Waking or crying one or more times in the night.
· Snoring- while normal levels of snoring are normal, if your child is heavily snoring and showing signs of sleep deprivation, this may be a sign they are suffering from sleep apnoea.
· Behavioural changes- if a child is deprived of sleep, their behavior tends to change from the norm. This may make them more irritable or moody- which only makes things harder for us parents!
· Getting ill more often- Sleep is important to our immune systems, therefore if we lack sleep, we are more susceptible to illness!
What might be causing them to struggle to sleep?
· Lack of routine- Routine is vital for both adults and children and can often be the reason why a child struggles to sleep. Try to establish a soothing bedtime routine to help your child relax before bedtime!
· Sound- Young babies sleep mostly in Rapid eye movement sleep (REM), which is the lighter form of sleep that causes us to dream often and be woken more easily. Due to this, any loud sounds may cause a disturbance, and thus cause sleep problems. However, studies show that babies can benefit from some gentle background sound, that mimics the sounds they heard while developing in their mother’s womb. So, avoid any sudden loud sounds, but try using some gentle, subtle background sound to see if your baby sleeps better!
· Too hot- Summer is a tricky season for infants, as they have a hard time regulating their temperature at night. Setting the temperature of their rooms right can be the difference between a good night's sleep or pulling an all-nighter! Try to keep your baby at the optimum temperature of between 65- 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
How can we help?
Although summer brings joy and vitamin D into our lives, the change in temperature causes infants to struggle to sleep comfortably at night causing distress for families. Luckily, the AirGo Smart fan’s temperature control system will monitor the temperature of your babies’ room, and automatically turn on or off to keep the room at optimum sleeping temperature.
Also, as the AirGo fan has been awarded as one of the quietest fans in the market by Quiet mark, you can ensure your child will not be disturbed throughout the night by a loud sound. This also means that you can use the fan to create some gentle background music to help your child get to sleep more easily. Doesn’t that sound good?
Lastly, the air is distributed at different pressures by this pedestal fan, meaning it is safe for your baby to use throughout the night. So, you have one less thing to worry about!
Check out more about how our AirGo Smart fan can improve your life!